Thursday 23 February 2012

Bulk

I'm by no means a greenie but I try to do my bit for the planet and one of my biggest gripes is how we are collectively wasting the world's resources with cheap nasty stuff.  (I've just realised that this might sound a little trite considering we've just moved half way across the world so Fanta Pants can locate more resources to pull out of the ground!!).  Anyway I think there is far too much packing on all products from food through to cosmetics and I've often thought it would be great if there was a shop you could take your own food containers and fill them up.

Well I've found it!  Although Bulk Barn doesn't allow you to bring your own containers you can fill up thin bags with the most amazing range of pantry items.  This place is fantastic!  I was actually looking for the raw ingredients for homemade muesli because we haven't been able to find fructose or corn syrup free muesli...  (Canada is drowning is fructose and corn syrup but that's a whole other story!)
Aisles and aisles of bulk buy bins...
 I found everything I needed and a whole lot of stuff I didn't know I needed.  Note to self don't go to Bulk Barn hungry!  They stock all sorts of health foods and I was able to buy a massive bag of my fav Israeli couscous and quinoa.  They also had every type of gluten free flour that I'd never heard of before.  This will also be the place to come for birthday cake supplies and party treats.

On the flip side to all this healthiness they also stock every kind of "candy" imaginable and a lot of it is seasonal.  Check out these pastel Easter m&ms!  I'm not sure how clear the photo is but the m&ms are stamped with bunnies.  I don't think I'll be bring the kids here - they would go bananas and I can see it ending in tears...
  
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment