Monday 6 August 2012

Woodland creatures

Canada is full of woodland creatures and you don't have to be in the wilderness to see them either!  I've written a lot about our darling squirrels but I can't remember if I've mentioned our raccoon family.  (I've never been know for my memory for details!).

We have a mama raccoon who lives between a vacant plot behind us and the storm water drain across the road from us.  This means she and her babies use our place as a thorough fair.  We might catch a glimpse of her or see evidence of her being around but she's been hard to get a photo of.

Finally on Friday night I got one!  It's not a great photo but it's the best I've managed of her so far.  While watch the Olympics on TV we saw that the local security patrol had parked across our driveway and it seemed the security guy was trying to help our raccoon cross the road safely!


Seeing an opportunity for a photo I grabbed my camera and ran out.  Apparently if raccoons are in danger or appear to be endangering someone/something else by law they can only be moved 100 metres from where they were found.  So I guess that means we're going to have to figure out a better way to secure our garbage bin.  This clever little creature can manage to lift the lid of our green wheelie bin even when it's strapped down with an occy strap!  It appears that her favourite foods include chicken and bread...

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment