Saturday 21 April 2012

NDG

I had a lovely morning off this morning and ventured away from my usual stomping ground to get a much needed haircut.  I don't know about you, but I'm funny about my hair and have only had two hairdressers in the last 15 years so finding a good salon was important to me.  A friend of a friend with very nice hair recommended a place and I wasn't disappointed!


It's a very large, vibrant salon and they offer head and neck massages before your cut!  Nice...  I was super pleased with the cut and style and will definitely be going back.  Maybe someone there will be able to handle Fanta Pants's hair?!?

Salon services in Canada are a bit cheaper than at home but then you are presented with the awkward notion of tipping.  It's such a weird concept to me outside of a fancy restaurant.  When paying with credit card there is always a section for tip but I always wonder if the person providing the service gets the actual tip or does it get sucked up in general takings?  Luckily, this salon has a nifty solution.  You can either tip the stylist directly in cash or they provide little envelopes you can write the stylist's name on and put the tip in then pop the envelope in a locked box for later.  I understand it's the done thing here but I felt weird about giving money directly to the hair dresser so I used the locked box.  Maybe next time I'll work up the courage to slip her some cash! 

After my haircut I had a little wander down the street called Monkland Ave in lovely neighbourhood called Notre Dame de Grace or NDG.  I think this area will become a favourite for me when I get a moment sans enfants - hair salon, amazing knitting shop, cute sewing shop and excellent bagel bakery.  


These things are seriously amazing!!  Extraordinary!!  The kids were super excited to see I'd brought a bag full home.  Lucky they freeze quite well too...

This part of NDG is quite lovely and I wonder why our relocation agent didn't show us any homes in this area?  It's not as suburban as where we are now but still really well set up for families with free standing homes as well as duplexes with small yards.  Actually, we recently found out what motivated our relocation agent.  Kickbacks!  I must admit that I was a bit shocked to find out they get a commissions for viewings, when the lease is signed and for various other introductions...


xx


No comments:

Post a Comment